Sunday, December 03, 2006

Advent: A Beginning




This is the first Sunday of Advent and the beginning of the Church year. It's my favourite time of year because it is a time of waiting with hope and expectation. But unlike other kinds of expectations, whether realistic or not, this one comes with a promise and a surety. Christmas does and will come.

Now the expectations in and around "Christmas the season" can pump us up, make us frenzied, and ultimately leave us exhausted, disappointed and even disillusioned. I know many people that sink into a profound depression during this time as they are faced with the myth of what Christmas is purported to be.

But this is precisely why I so long for Advent. It is a time to be still; to listen to the usually silenced inner voice that will tell us what is of true value and who we are in our deepest selves. It is a time when our darkness is driven away by the Light, not because we strive to rid ourselves of it but because it comes in the form of a gift. A gift wrapped in flesh. A gift that says, "you are not alone; I am with you; I am one of you; and, I love you beyond all imagining." This is the gift that never fails to come. This is the gift I long to receive. This is the gift that never disappoints.

Let me share the prayer I read this morning for the first Sunday in Advent:

Merciful and faithful God, you sent your only-begotten Son,

the teacher of truth and the font of reconciliation,

to gather the warring nations of the earth into the peace of your

everlasting reign.

Stir up within us the spirit of joyful expectation,

that, leaving behind the night,

we may run to greet your day as it draws near,

and gladly welcome your Christ wherever he reveals himself.


This fresh beginning I long for Light, pray for peace, and hope in Goodness.

5 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, December 03, 2006, Blogger Random Reflections said...

A couple of years ago I suddenly realised how amazing some particular words in the carol "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" are. Now I am always so struck by it when we sing "risen with healing in His wings" and those words never fail to move me and give me hope.

This is a time of great hope and expectation indeed.

 
At 7:48 PM, December 03, 2006, Blogger Trop said...

One of my fondest memories of childhood is our annual ritual of lighting the advent candles every Sunday in December. My parents would gather us all around in the evening; we'd recite a devotional, sing a hymn, and then light the candle(s). Thanks for reminding me of this magical time. I'm sad to admit I've become a real humbug as an adult.

 
At 6:08 AM, December 04, 2006, Blogger SassyFemme said...

I really like the context in which you put things, Zanne. I know I've said it before, but you're going to make the most amazing priest! Truthfully, I only wish you were already one, and were in a church nearby.

 
At 11:11 AM, December 04, 2006, Blogger Zanne said...

Hey Random, I know what you mean. Some of those old familiar carols have the most amazing imagery. Wishing you joy and hope this season! :D

Trop, hold on to those happy memories. Maybe they can help you create some new ones for you and C and A. Remember, there is always hope! Peace my friend!

Sassy, you are such a sweetie! I'm so glad you can relate to my ramblings and I so appreciate your affirmation! Hugs to you! :D

 
At 7:28 AM, December 05, 2006, Blogger Gunfighter said...

I enjoyed our first sunday in advent, too, Zanne.

A great time of year, indeed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Web Site Counter