Saturday, September 23, 2006

Onward O my soul















This morning I was at the Cathedral for a service of ordination to the priesthood. I was asked to help usher, as were all the postulants in our diocese.

What a spectacular way to inspire those of us that are on our way to someday walking down that aisle. What a way to strike awe into our very souls with the weight of what we are preparing to take on. What a way to celebrate all that is good about our faith in the midst of such turmoil in our church, nation and families.

It was especially poignant to me because the last ordination I was at, I was accompanied by a good friend and fellow aspirant to the priesthood. We sat together in hope and expectation that we would both be there together some day. Here it is 6 months later and I am going on without her because only one of us was approved. Truthfully, it had occurred to me that that might happen, I just didn’t think it would be her that was turned down.

It was strange to see the priests that were part of my discernment process over the last 3 years. Now suddenly I’ve crossed over on my way to being their peer. One beautiful priest in particular made my face split in joy from ear to ear as she processed by me with her thumbs up and mouthing, “Soon it will be your turn.”

It was also a moment for deep sadness. One of those who were ordained is the wife of my ex-rector. (see here) I saw old friends from my old church, some who know I’m gay and some who don’t. I also had the opportunity to greet my ex-rector and his wife. I think part of me thought I’d be able to avoid that, but when I found myself face to face with them, all that was left for me to do was hug them and wish them well.

Someday we will stop all this ridiculous rhetoric about “life-style” and separation. There will come a day when ALL God’s children will sit at the same table, equal, accepted, and belonging because in God’s kingdom, where all is already as it’s meant to be, we already do. At some point we will grow up and realize that our call is to love God first, and love our neighbors as ourselves. So let us feed the hungry, heal the sick, fight the injustice and oppression of those who are weak and powerless in this world. That is the battle I am signing up for and am willing to give my life to and for. And I do it because my Lord did it first. All else is crap. My God is love, no matter how inadequately S/He is sometimes portrayed by those who claim the name of Christian.

To borrow a phrase from my friend’s wise and Godly grandfather, I purpose to journey onward measuring everything by this yardstick, “Is there love in this? If not, I’m done.”
Amen.

14 Comments:

At 8:25 PM, September 23, 2006, Blogger Syd said...

How inspiring. I want to say something, but words escape me (imagine that).

How 'bout this... I simply adore you.

 
At 10:07 PM, September 23, 2006, Blogger Zanne said...

Ah Syd, *blushes* thanks sweetie!

 
At 3:21 AM, September 24, 2006, Blogger Trop said...

Impressive Zanne. I never appreciated how much is involved in becomeing a priest. You inspire me.

 
At 3:43 PM, September 24, 2006, Blogger SassyFemme said...

Your words cause me to pause and reflect, appreciating the truth in what you say, yet also seeing a brief glimpse of the both the sadness and excitement you seem to feel at the same time.

Without going into a big thing on here, know that your words, "There will come a day when ALL God’s children will sit at the same table, equal, accepted, and belonging because in God’s kingdom, where all is already as it’s meant to be, we already do. are words that touch me greatly, and have meaning for me, on many levels.

As always Zanne, I just want to reach out and hug you. As Syd said, you are adored!

 
At 9:41 PM, September 24, 2006, Blogger Bent Fabric said...

You already sound like a priest.

xoxoxo

 
At 12:10 AM, September 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would be quite happy to have someone like you for a parish priest...

 
At 6:50 AM, September 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, sister.

Hey... How many Episcopalians does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

GF

 
At 7:57 AM, September 25, 2006, Blogger The Mad Hatter said...

I second Merryn's comment. I think I'm gonna ship myself all the way over there so you can become my priest, or maybe you should try London, c'mon, what more could you as for, it never stops raining here, you get a free shower ;-)

Well done chick, I kiss and love you loads XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

 
At 10:18 AM, September 25, 2006, Blogger Zanne said...

Trop, it's scary is what it is (!) but it's the road I'm on and to quote one of my favorite movies "a life lived in fear is a life half-lived." I think we can all inspire each other by living our lives openly and with integrity-that's what inspires me about yours! :)

Sassy, I'm always so glad to hear that I'm not alone in the way I feel--thank you for that! I so want things to be different, or at the very least to stop going in the direction that they are going, in terms of the fear, misunderstanding and hatred. And I'll take that hug next time you're in the Big Apple! ;) Hugs!

Bent, thanks babe! xox

Merryn, kind kind words my friend! We'll see where I'm led. Sometimes I think I'm just going to go around trying to make people wake up and face their fears because I believe that once they're faced then things can change. Pollyanna to the rescue!!! :P

GF, glad to have you standing with me!
And don't leave me hangin'! How many does it take? (I'm afraid to ask-tee hee!)

Maddie, yes do ship yourself over here so I can meet my friend! Am actually gonna be passing through your neck of the woods in Nov. so maybe we could duck out of those showers for a pint! Hugs to you sweetie!

 
At 4:06 PM, September 25, 2006, Blogger Gunfighter said...

Three.

One to screw in the bulb; one to mix the Martinis; and one to tell everyone how much prettier the old lightbulb was.

NOTE: If you want to change that for Lutherans, replace Martinis with coffee. No kidding, here... during the fellowship hour at my church, it could be 95 blazing degrees with high Virginia humidity, and half the people are drinking coffee!

 
At 4:17 PM, September 25, 2006, Blogger Zanne said...

LOL Gunfighter! We'll have to get together and have a drink sometime! tee hee!

 
At 10:17 AM, September 27, 2006, Blogger The Mad Hatter said...

Its a date hun, tell me when your about and lets hook up, man Im all excited now ;-)
Lots of kisses

PS. I have my home net back on yay XXXXXXXXXXXX

 
At 5:05 PM, September 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so beautifully written-- but really with all the beautiful English language- did we not have anothe word for Crap!Ha! Love you,
Mother

 
At 10:06 AM, October 02, 2006, Blogger Zanne said...

Shirlie, I'm so proud of you for figuring out how to use the comment box--I love hearing from you! You made me laugh out loud (LOL) with the remark about my word usage! It was actually better than the first word I thought of which begins with an "S." I am Nanny's granddaughter!!
Love you back!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Web Site Counter