Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The Subway—My Spiritual Barometer

I love a lot of things about this city. One of them is NOT the public transit system. Don’t get me wrong, I like being able to get from point A to point B without driving but the fact that I have to share it with a million other people really does not work for me.

Take yesterday for example. I nearly cussed (out loud) the man in front of me at the turnstile because he wasn’t swiping his fare card fast enough. He was interrupting my flow! Now if that hadn’t happened I might not have been aware that my knickers were in a knot, so to speak. And let’s face it, did my knickers really need to be in a knot? I don’t think so.

So, this morning in recognition of my guaranteed irritation and impatience with those who bump me, jostle me, invade my space, and generally do not behave in ways I want them to while on the bus or subway, I spent some extra time in quietness and prayer. And I’m happy to report that it worked—no homicides were committed on my morning commute (at least not by me!).

Who knew that public transportation would be the catalyst for concentrated refocusing of my spiritual disciplines?!

11 Comments:

At 10:18 AM, October 04, 2006, Blogger Syd said...

You handled that soooo much better than I would have. (As you can well imagine)

 
At 10:40 AM, October 04, 2006, Blogger Trop said...

I couldn't be so patient or polite... I'm not at all keen on crowds or public transportation.

 
At 2:02 PM, October 04, 2006, Blogger SassyFemme said...

It's not the bumping and jostling that bothers me, it's the people breathing on me, coughing on me, and spreading their gross germs in my space that drives me insane. My wife, on the other hand, I swear she has expanding elbows, they just seem to go out when we're in crowded places.

 
At 10:59 PM, October 04, 2006, Blogger CrackerLilo said...

Oooh, I never take the subway. I have enough growth opportunities. But I'm glad you could get something out of it.

 
At 7:11 AM, October 05, 2006, Blogger The Mad Hatter said...

Its not just trains and buses th get on my tits (so to speak) its when we go shopping too, and these mad fuckers bump you with there trolley. I just wanna carry round a water pistol when I go shopping and squrt all there faces!

You bump me, breath on me, put your armpit in my face on the bus, touch my arse (no matter how hot I look) or just look at me, your gonna get an eyefull of water and my knee in you family jewels(your below bits) so be warned ;-)

Ah I feel a lot better I got that off my chest, cheers chick ;-)
Lots of love XxXxXxXxXxX

 
At 9:54 PM, October 05, 2006, Blogger Middle Girl said...

Not only the pushing, shoving, coughing and sneezing, there is also the impromptu concerts of dueling ring tones amd the tinny techno versions of Material Girl or whatever, emitting from lower end mp3 earplugs. Public transportation is the perfect vehicle for...nothing, but getting you there, except when it strands you here. Or, as you note a cataylst-yea to you for finding the peace in the storm.

 
At 3:07 AM, October 06, 2006, Blogger KMae said...

Ah Yesssss the subway.
I remember it well.
Funny thing tho',it is SO great not to have to depend on a car for transportion. I actually miss that.

 
At 1:54 PM, October 06, 2006, Blogger Deb said...

Your best bet is to get on that booze cart and forget about everyone else around you!

 
At 6:10 PM, October 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry--- wrote my repy to the wrong messages Age does that!
love you

 
At 9:40 AM, October 11, 2006, Blogger Zanne said...

Syd you give me too much credit! Plus, I don't have a gun! ;)

Trop, yes I'm not into crowds either. People ask me if I've ever done New Year's Eve in Times Square. I ask them if they're on drugs!

Sassy, ah yes the germs...thanks for reminding me! :)

CrackerLilo, LOL! I'm definitely looking for alternate growth opportunities myself!

Maddie, water pistol--what a brilliant idea!!!

Only Daughter, yes, cellphones are a whole other post!!

Deb, there's a booze cart?!!!!!!! Where have I been?!!!!!!!!! ;)

Hey Shirl, you go ahead and leave comments anywhere you want! Love you more! :)

 
At 11:28 AM, October 11, 2006, Blogger Little Blue Petal said...

Blah I cannot bear public transport of any kind. Give me a deserted country footpath any day! Though I have to admire you for maintaining genuine serenity in that environment! You must have an angel at your shoulder!
Shalom LBPx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Web Site Counter