Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Life, the roller coaster--what a ride!
















It’s been an intense couple of weeks. I have visited 2 more seminaries and endured a week long sickness that left me flat on my back for 5 days and required antibiotics. Must develop a better way of handling stress!

I haven’t wanted to write because my heart’s been on a roller coaster. I loved the first seminary which is actually a divinity school up in CT. This surprised me as I’d decided ahead of time I wouldn’t like it—too this and too that. Of course I was completely wrong and had to own up to the fact that my attitude was born out of fear: “I’m not smart enough; I won’t fit in; blah blah blah…” I am such a silly child at times!!

The second seminary is here in NYC and I loved that just as much. My fears about the future are gradually diminishing as I begin to visualize the possibilities.

I was disappointed with myself this last week when I became sick. I couldn’t study or hold any coherent thought for that matter, which was a problem since I was scheduled to do the GRE this Thursday. Didn’t take me long to realize that that wasn’t going to happen but I didn’t reschedule when I should have and had to eat the fee. The self-loathing and recrimination were palpable.

Then yesterday, my boss exemplified the grace that I was so sorely lacking and in need of. Being sick ate up the last of my vacation days so that I couldn’t go home for the week of Christmas. I went and asked him if he’d consider giving me the time off without pay—I really want be home! He told me that that wasn’t necessary. He’s going to comp me the 3 days because he knows I’ll do anything that’s asked of me. Now, personally I can tell you that he’s giving me way too much credit but God bless the man!

And finally, I am on a plane this Friday night to jolly ol’ England for a visit with a very dear friend. She was my music teacher in grade 7 and she hung the moon if you get my drift. We’ve been friends now for 32 years and I’m thrilled to be spending some time with her. She lost her husband to cancer in March which was heartbreaking. They’re both young vibrant people and true soul mates. Life is so unfair at times…

Anyhoo, apologies for the length of this post. Blessings to all who stop by!

16 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, November 15, 2006, Blogger Syd said...

I'm so sorry you've been ill. You're probably right about the stress. It's freaking amazing what it can to do your body, isn't it?

Have a lovely trip, and try to write when you can.

 
At 11:35 AM, November 15, 2006, Blogger Gunfighter said...

Glad to see that you are back, Zanne.... I was wondering if all was well.

 
At 11:36 AM, November 15, 2006, Blogger Gunfighter said...

Double post!

High five, Syd!

 
At 12:06 PM, November 15, 2006, Blogger Zanne said...

Hey Syd, how heartening to have such a quick comment after posting--so glad you haven't forgotten about me!! ;)
And just so you know, even on my sickest days, you always made me laugh over at your place! Try and stay outta trouble over the holidays, ok? Big hug to you!

GF my man! Good to see you--YAY!! Yeah, I tend to get quiet when I'm drowning! :P
Think one of the lessons over the next 3 years will be learning to scream for help. :D

 
At 1:41 PM, November 15, 2006, Blogger Middle Girl said...

Sorry to hear you've been ill. Glad you are better. Glad the seminary trips went well. The new trip sounds grand.

And wow, what a great boss. Glad you will be able to be home.

Good to *see* you.

Safe travels.

 
At 6:00 PM, November 15, 2006, Blogger SassyFemme said...

Zanne, I hope you have a fantabulous trip! If you end up in CT you can count on having friends an hour or so up the road, and you can scream for anything anytime you need it. :) If it makes you feel any better I had to pay a huge late fee for the test I'm taking on Saturday. I procrastinated looking into it for so long I made the late registration on the last possible day. Sending you safe travel hugs!

 
At 8:34 PM, November 15, 2006, Blogger Bent Fabric said...

You are smart enough! You will fit in! And yes, you are a silly child at times. :)

 
At 1:00 AM, November 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Glad to hear you're doing better now. So, you've liked all the seminaries you've visited. I guess that has both it's good and bad points - good that you like them but harder to make your decision.

Have a wonderful time on your trip. I'll pray for you as you travel.

 
At 4:30 AM, November 16, 2006, Blogger Random Reflections said...

Sounds like it's been a busy time. That's really great that the seminary stuff seems to be progressing.

So you're coming over to the UK. I hope you enjoy it here, it's pretty mild at the moment (by UK standards) so pack carefully...

 
At 9:03 AM, November 16, 2006, Blogger Trop said...

Zanne, I can't tell you how delighted I am to see you posting again. I've missed you so much. I'm glad you are on the mend. I do not envy your decision about seminary, but to me it looks like a win-win either way. You are smart enough, good enough, you will fit in, and you will THRIVE.

Enjoy your holiday across the pond.

 
At 11:29 AM, November 16, 2006, Blogger KMae said...

Welcome back, missed you!!!

Now go get a flu shot, before you come back with another big whammy!

 
At 6:09 PM, November 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you have a wonderful time and glad to hear you are better. I hate being so far away to help you. Drink lots of fluids andget your shot when you return
love you
Shirlie

 
At 12:30 AM, November 17, 2006, Blogger CrackerLilo said...

Have a great time in England! I'm glad you can be there for her!

L'Ailee has a teacher like that, who is now a friend of ours. It was so cute to hear her struggle with calling her by her first name rather than "Ms. X."

I'm glad your boss is understanding and the seminary hunt is working out, too.

Probably the sickness was your body's way of forcing you to take a vacation!

 
At 9:37 AM, November 17, 2006, Blogger Zanne said...

Only D, thanks for all your good wishes! Hope you have a blessed Thanksgiving! :)

Sassy, I may end up screamin' even if I don't end up in CT. ;)

Bent, love you too! :D

Merryn, thanks for your prayers my friend. Please know that you are in mine as well! Ginormous hug!!!!!!

Random, thanks for the packing tip! I decided to forego the winter coat and plan on borrowing if need be.

Trop, thanks my friend! Just to let you know too, your comment about thriving has really been impacting how I'm assessing my options--hugs!

KMae, yes ma'am! In the meantime though I'm heavily relying on Airborne. :)

Shirlie, I know! I hate being so far from you too! And while I'm away, remember: Whom do I love? Youm that's whom? ;)

Cracker, yes my body has definitely been talking to me--must improve those listening skills!

Dear Friends, one and all, blessings to you and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

 
At 4:19 PM, November 19, 2006, Blogger Claire Joy said...

so good to know you're back... sorry about being sick. (total bummer) and of course I want you to stay in NYC... but hey... you go where you're called. :)

 
At 10:47 AM, November 28, 2006, Blogger Zanne said...

Claire Joy!!! Wonderful to see you! Thanks for your good wishes and all--would love to be in your prayers about where to go 'cause more and more I'm thinking NYC too! ;)
Hugs to you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Web Site Counter