Saturday, September 16, 2006

Blubbering and Bishops--Welcome to my world!

Yesterday started off with me having a meltdown prompted by the unexpected maneuvers of my newly updated Internet browser. I clicked on a folder expecting it to expand and instead it opened everything in the folder (45 items!!) into tabs. This is not what I wanted and so I spent the next 10 minutes, 10 minutes that I did not have, trying to make it do what it usually does. Needless to say, the programmers have the advantage over the technotard and my efforts were in vain. I then burst into tears and wailed, “This isn’t what I want!!!”

It was at this point that some sane part of my personality suggested that such an emotional outburst was probably not about my computer! (Ya think?!!!) So, I went back in my room, had a good cry and listed all the things in my life that “I do not want.” Surprisingly long list! *insert sheepish shrug*

You’d think that might have set the tone for the day but although it had a rocky start, it got much better. I was permitted to take an extended lunch in order to attend a joint Eucharist service between The Episcopal and Lutheran Churches. The Presiding Bishops were both there in order to celebrate the Millennium Development Goals, which have to do with eradicating poverty, hunger, disease, and injustice in our world. Not hugely attended but a moving service none-the-less. My big surprise came when I spotted in the back of the chapel, without a collar, our future Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori. OK, I’m a dweeb but I was so excited! I haven’t seen a lot of great photos of her and she’s so very attractive in person. She has a face alive with intelligence and humor. I didn’t have the guts to go up and say hello but I certainly left feeling inspired by the message of our Bishop and by being in the presence of people I admire and respect.


Bishop Katharine
Jefferts Schori


13 Comments:

At 6:36 PM, September 16, 2006, Blogger Syd said...

Z, you are such a very interesting person. No punchline. I can be sincere once in a blue moon ;)

Now to my usual asshattery, am I going to hell for thinking the Bishop is kinda hot?

 
At 6:38 PM, September 16, 2006, Blogger Syd said...

Don't bother answering that. I'm going to hell for so many other reasons, it's a waste of contemplation.

 
At 7:27 PM, September 16, 2006, Blogger SassyFemme said...

I'm not at all surprised that you figured out there was other stuff going on when you started to cry. Just from the little bit I've read of you here, you seem to be very perceptive, and in touch with your inner self. Syd's right (rare, but it happens I'm so dead for saying that!), you are a very interesting person.

 
At 10:09 PM, September 16, 2006, Blogger Zanne said...

Syd, is it a blue moon or is that the name of some southern drink you've been imbibing? ;)
Hey thanks for the compliment! And you've permanently endeared yourself to me by thinking that the Bishop is hot! Hell can't have you, you belong with us! Hugs!

Sassy, well I must say that when the Reigning Queens of Cyberspace aka the Saint and the Sinner (yep, I'm just crackin' myself up here!) say you're interesting, you have arrived! :D
Hugs to you as well!!

 
At 7:41 AM, September 17, 2006, Blogger SassyFemme said...

Giggling like crazy!

 
At 8:32 AM, September 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually got to hear Katharine Jefferts Schori deliver the sermon recently at a church where she used to serve about 45 minutes from here. I don't think I'd recognize her without the bishop outfit. She does seem to be a pretty amazing woman (although it hadn't actually occurred to me that she was hot - perhaps I was distracted by all the pomp and circumstance).

 
At 8:45 AM, September 17, 2006, Blogger Syd said...

[she called me The Sinner...swoon]

Sassy, I saw that.

 
At 9:04 AM, September 17, 2006, Blogger Trop said...

I'm ready to convert for the better eye candy. Zanne, will you get a toaster oven if I do?

 
At 8:28 PM, September 17, 2006, Blogger Zanne said...

Sassy, I do love it when you laugh!

Merryn, first I'm jealous that you heard her preach; second, yes you would have recognized her (there's a certain dignity about her); and third, take a second look! tee hee!

Syd, that's all it took to make you swoon?! So easy! ;)

Trop, LOL (even if Bent did have to explain the toaster oven ref!) You always seem to be the catalyst for me learning something new! :D

 
At 4:28 AM, September 18, 2006, Blogger High Maintenance Femme said...

well as far as saints and sinners go I'm definitely on the dark side haha. Just a question out of pure curiosity, if you become a priest does that mean you can't then practice homosexuality? I've no idea how it works as I'm an, ahem, athiest *cough* xxx

 
At 11:52 AM, September 18, 2006, Blogger KMae said...

She's cute, Zanne! Does she have a partner? Maybe you should step up & go for a long a "chat??"

 
At 12:27 PM, September 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool pic Zanne... I would imaginr that you saw my presiding Bishop there as well!

Bishop Mark Hanson, of the ELCA?

Lutheran Gunfighter

 
At 6:16 PM, September 18, 2006, Blogger Zanne said...

HMF, lucky for you I was really busy today because when I read your question I nearly wrote a whole 'nother post! I think what you're asking is the ol' "Can priests get married?" question, which in the Episcopal church is yes.

As for "practicing my homosexuality," well that feels like asking me if I practice being a girl. I know that's not what you were talking about, but you kinda got me going there...maybe I will write a post! Anyhoo, thanks for stopping by sweetie! Hugs!
____________________________________

Ah Miss KMae, ever the romantic! Our esteemed Bishop is happily married with a daughter, I believe. Still, it's quite inspiring for her to be in the position she's in and I could do far worse than having her as a role model!

Sir Gunfighter, yes indeedy I believe I did! Warmed my heart to see our two denominations come together, as we all should, in my opinion! Peace brother!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Web Site Counter