Monday, August 28, 2006

Bumpy flight / bumpy life

Had a great time in Canada this last weekend, even if I didn’t get to see Mars!



Funny thought on the plane last night. It was rainy and overcast which made for a 30-minute delay. By the time we were flying into the Big Apple airport it was dark and cloudy with zero visibility. Then the turbulence started. Drama queen that I am, I started to contemplate my mortality. A very humbling experience, especially if anyone other than God had heard my inner monologue! Of course I immediately related what I was experiencing to the journey of faith. It is scary when things are bumpy, you are completely powerless, you are being asked to trust in someone/Someone you can’t see, and your vision is completely obscured. It was this last part that was the most disconcerting for me. Somehow in my mind the bumpiness was going to be less frightening when I could look out the window and see the ground. There was something truly awful about looking out and seeing nothing.


So often I look out and can’t see and am tempted to despair. That’s why living alone on an island or being a hermit up on a mountain (did I mention I’m an introvert!) just will not work. To be human is to need and to give eyesight and perspective one to another. I can’t see over the hill but you’ve been there and can tell me about it. My mom gives me this gift when she tells me how things look from further on down the road. A priest who also happens to be a psychotherapist gave me perspective last week about the situation at my old church. Every time someone entrusts me with her/his story, I walk away strengthened and challenged. Maybe it can give me the courage to tell my own.


This post is already too long, but in the interest of not being cryptic I’ll tell a little bit of my story. When I began the process of discernment about becoming a priest I was at a very conservative church. I had not come out to myself let alone anybody else. When I finally did, I had to go to my priest and tell him. That in itself is a long story, but the end result is that he helped me transition to a new parish where I could be myself and continue pursuing my call. Here’s what continues to be hard: the man believes in my call, is committed to seeing a collar around my neck, has said that I deserve to be with a beautiful woman to share my life with, wants to know when I fall in love, and at the same time says to me that he believes homosexuality is incompatible with scripture. He believes this so much so that he has taken his parish out of The Episcopal Church, finding he has more in common with someone like a certain Nigerian bishop who was instrumental in passing legislature in his own country that criminalizes who and what I am.


To say that I feel hurt and betrayed would be an understatement.


Right now the challenge is to cry and be vulnerable instead of lashing out in anger. Anger is oh so much easier! On the upside though, I can say that I’ve been here before and it led to a place that was more right than I could have imagined.


18 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, August 28, 2006, Blogger Unbalanced said...

Zanne, I hope you find the strength and inner peace you need and search for. :)

 
At 3:01 PM, August 28, 2006, Blogger Random Reflections said...

By the sounds of it you went on a journey to get to where you are now - one that is not yet over - and your old priest is doing the same. It doesn't mean that those journeys will end up at the same destination in terms of belief though, which can be painful and include rejection.

Didn't St Augustine say something like "My soul is at rest when I find my rest in thee" [thee being God].

Like the previous commenter, I also hope you find the peace that you are looking for.

 
At 5:11 PM, August 28, 2006, Blogger Trop said...

"Betrayal of any kind is hard, but betrayal by one's religion is excruciating. It makes you want to rage and weep. It deposits a powerful energy inside." ~~Sue Monk Kidd; _The Dance of the Dissident Daughter_

 
At 12:18 AM, August 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Powerless and in the dark - not a pleasant picture. But, you know, I think that's where most of us are if we'd only admit it. We may think we see where we're going, but who knows what the next day will bring? (Perhaps I've just revealed too much about myself and everyone else has got things figured out.) All we can do is keep moving towards the light.

Keep doing what you're doing sweetie and know that you are completely supported and loved...

 
At 7:39 AM, August 29, 2006, Blogger The Mad Hatter said...

Firstly hun, glad you had a great time in Canada.

Secondly Im sending you my peace vibe, I dont have it very much lately, but its yours now :-)

Last but not least, I hope you find what your looking for, and please be sure that during your search, I will be right here to back you up girlie :-)

Have a peaceful day my freind
Lots of hugs and love XxXxXxXxXxXxX

 
At 11:02 AM, August 29, 2006, Blogger Zanne said...

UnB - thanks sweetie!

Random Reflections - thank you for stopping by! Really appreciated your wisdom--thanks for sharing some of that perspective thing! ;)

Trop - that's one of my favorite books! I went looking for it right after you sent this quote; I think it may be time to read it again. You always seem to understand-bless you!

Merryn - you always make me feel so not alone!! Love you my friend!

Maddie - thanks for sharing the peace vibe, especially when it's in such short supply! Really glad to have you along on this journey! Hugs!

 
At 1:48 PM, August 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Happiness lies for those who cry, those who hurt, those who have searched and those who have tried - for only they can appreciate the importance of people who have touched their lives."

PS: I love your blog and I'm proud of you! :) I think life's purpose is to love and to be loved no matter what. It's truly sad that others cannot accept this ultimate message unconditionally.

 
At 5:03 PM, August 29, 2006, Blogger SassyFemme said...

I've come back to this posting a few times, just reflecting on it. In just a few small paragraphs there are such powerful words, such important messages, and such feeling.

I think part of the challenge is also to live a life being gentle and kind to others, and go through every day with one's head held high, knowing that love is what's most important; showing that we're just like everyone else, we simply love someone of the same sex. That, vs. the anger is, I believe, what my mom used to call taking the high road.

 
At 8:51 PM, August 29, 2006, Blogger Bent Fabric said...

I really despise the Love the sinner, hate the sin mentality. Believers in this philosophy do not realize the incongruity in their statement when they say, "You know, you are going to fry in hell for who/what you are, but you know what, despite this heinous sin you are committing, you are really a swell gal."

In a way it is good that you are letting yourself feel the betrayal and the anger because resistance creates more of what is being resisted. Acknowledge these negative feelings and try to move on because fixating on them will only infuse them with more power.

Your journey is just beginning, my friend. I, too, hope you achieve the inner peace you are pursuing. Don't give up hope.

The consensus is I give good hugs so I am sending you a GIANT one. Don't worry, I have references. :)

xoxo

 
At 8:59 AM, August 30, 2006, Blogger Zanne said...

Sarbear - I love that quote! Where did you get it? And hey thanks for the encouragement--right back atcha ;)
I share your same life philosophy I guess the best we can do is just to live it out. Hugs to you and M!

Sassy - Thanks for taking the time to consider what I said. I think you're so right about the challenge being to live a life of gentleness and quietness with a sense of dignity. I love what your mom said about taking the high road. That's really how I want to live, it's just that sometimes I feel like I'm just not up to it. People very often take advantage and misuse that kind of person and I have a hard time responding to that with trust that there's a bigger picture and that things will be ok anyway. It's amazing how the urge to self-protect comes storming into the picture at the least sign of injustice. Ok, sorry to go on and on--thanks for your insight, wisdom and sensitivity (as always)! Hugs!

Bent my pet, you startled me with the obvious--I didn't make the connection about the "love the sinner/hate the sin" philosophy, which of course is just another form of hypocrisy. You give very good and wise advice my friend, especially for someone who doesn't give advice!! ;)
Thanks for being such a wonderful friend and for the giant hug-I'll take it, references be damned! :D

 
At 9:11 AM, August 30, 2006, Blogger Gunfighter said...

Hello Zanne,

New to your blog, but I thought I'd just say that my sister had to deal with many of the things you will go through/have gone through during her journey towards ordination in a denomination that is rather conservative, particularly regarding issues of sexuality.

 
At 9:13 AM, August 30, 2006, Blogger Gunfighter said...

I meant to finish by saying hang in there... I'll be praying for you.

 
At 9:17 AM, August 30, 2006, Blogger Zanne said...

Hey Gunfighter, thanks for sharing about your sister. It does help to remember that I'm not the only one! And thanks for the encouragement and prayers--means a lot!

 
At 9:26 PM, August 30, 2006, Blogger SassyFemme said...

Zanne, taking the high road doesn't mean that you won't get hurt, or your trust won't be violated, it will and you will be hurt; as will any of us that follow that path. For me, and I sense for you also, it's more important to be able to look in the mirror, or be alone with my thoughts, and be at peace. Knowing, deep down, that I'm doing the right thing matters greatly. The fact that I also believe so very strongly in karma helps, too. That aside, having someone I can just totally bitch to isn't bad, either. :)

I have not a single ounce of doubt that you are capable of living your life on the high road. I sense a gentleness to your soul that wouldn't let you live any other way.

 
At 8:33 AM, September 01, 2006, Blogger Sarah and Mike said...

The quote was in a fwd'd email from a friend, and I liked it so much, I kept it all these years.... :) She sent it to me back in highschool. Cheers!

 
At 5:18 PM, September 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a terrible way to be treated Zanne. People like that completely do my head in!
(((Sending you hugs and healing)))

 
At 6:53 PM, September 01, 2006, Blogger Little Blue Petal said...

That guy needs to do some serious work on himself! It is like slapping you down with one hand and helping you up with the other. Horrendous behaviour on his part.
Glad to hear you had a good trip to Canada though-- and made it home again in one piece! Whew! :-D
LBPx

 
At 8:31 AM, September 02, 2006, Blogger Zanne said...

Sarbear-I emailed you back and PS LOVE that pic of you 2!!! You make a truly beautiful pair!

Sassy, emailed you too but want to say publicly that you're a special lady and a real encouragement to me! hugs!

Thalia, thanks for coming by and for your good wishes! :)

LBP, you know it's taken me a long time to see it as horrendous behavior because I love him, but you're right. Thanks for the perspective!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Web Site Counter