Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11

Ok I know I wasn't going to do a 9/11 post but I just had the most moving experience and had to share. Because my boss is the coolest, I got to go get free tickets this morning to attend a sing along at Carnegie Hall at 12:30 p.m. The Juilliard School performed the Mozart Requiem in commemoration of the 5th anniversary of 9/11.

It was incredible to be in that beautiful cavernous hall, with a score of one of my favorite pieces of music in my hand, and invited to participate with first class musicians. I sang the Requiem twice about 20 years ago but haven't sung it since.

It came flooding back to me with a poignancy that made me weep. This was definitely one of those NY moments I will always remember.

9 Comments:

At 2:53 PM, September 11, 2006, Blogger Random Reflections said...

I went to see the Requiem Mass on 7 July i.e. the first anniversary of the London bombings. That was very moving.

We weren't allowed to sing along though!

 
At 3:01 PM, September 11, 2006, Blogger Zanne said...

Still, I bet it was a very special experience! Thanks for sharing!

 
At 3:57 PM, September 11, 2006, Blogger KMae said...

Sounds so healing!
That's the only good 9/11 post I can stand so far.
It's all driving me crazy.
OOOoooooooommmmmmmmmmmm.

 
At 4:48 PM, September 11, 2006, Blogger afuntanilla said...

Z-sounds beautiful. what a gift...

 
At 4:49 PM, September 11, 2006, Blogger Trop said...

Wow! Just wow. I wish I had been there.

 
At 9:10 PM, September 11, 2006, Blogger SassyFemme said...

What an amazing experience! How wonderful that you also now have a good memory to think back on, in association with 9/11.

 
At 9:33 AM, September 12, 2006, Blogger Zanne said...

KMae, so glad I wasn't one of the ones driving you crazy! Hugs to you on such a hard hard day!!

Afuntanilla, that's the exact word for it--gift. :)

Tropopause, yes it was very "wow!" That would have been cool to have you there singing with me! I felt a little exposed at times but I don't think I annoyed my neighbors too much with my singing!

Sassy, leave it to you to sum it up so beautifully by noting that there is now a happier memory to associate with such a horrendous day. xo

 
At 2:40 AM, September 13, 2006, Blogger Undercover Mother said...

I would use any occasion to hear a live orchestra perform Mozart, especially the Requiem.

A side note: They had a whole Mozart category on Jeopardy today and I got every last one of them right.

 
At 4:43 PM, September 13, 2006, Blogger Zanne said...

Mom of 3, hey welcome! Yay another Mozart fan! Actually after that Jeopardy game I guess I should say Mozart expert! Thanks for stopping by!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Web Site Counter