Saturday, September 02, 2006

Warning: melancholy ahead



It’s Labor Day weekend and so far I haven’t been out of my house or my jammies. “Ernesto” has been too busy blowing and raining for me to feel ambitious about much of anything. And I am depressed. Deeply depressed.

I have spent most of the day reading and remembering my first love. Strangely, the two are connected. One of the books I was reading is Lisa See’s novel Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. It is the story of two women in early nineteenth century China; a fascinating portrayal of the role of women in that time period and an insightful tale of the female psyche.

(Stay with me now, there is a point—or at least I see a relevance.) Society at that time was strictly patriarchal, as most societies have always been. Women had no value except as the vehicle through which the male heirs would come into the world. Women’s feet were bound as a sign of beauty and made them more marketable for a good marriage. A woman’s standing as a new wife was nothing until she had a boy baby; girl babies were just unwanted mouths to feed. They had no choices, no power, no voice. A woman’s lot was suffering. Period.

Then into this world came secret ways to survive it. A life-long contract could exist between two women who were called “old sames.” These were women that were somehow assessed to be compatible and who would love and support each other through all the hardness that life was. By communicating through a secret written language on a fan that would travel back and forth between their two homes, these women were more married to each other than to their husbands. Their bond was not physical; society had no allowance for such a thing. But their love and commitment was so very much like the way we lesbians partner with each other in the 21st century.

And now we get to my point: I could not help but think that it was so very ironic that in the myriad ways societies have evolved (pick any culture you like) that there are still things that we cling to that no longer have meaning. Women are no longer dependent on men—in some parts of the world—for survival. They can earn their own money, make their own choices, and now have a voice. Our power does not equal the male’s but it is more than it was. Most of us do not have to marry or have children or fit a certain pattern unless we want to. Some of us have had the courage to say, “that is not me” and “I love differently.”

Imagine if all of us, men and women, could be true to who and what we are. Imagine instead of dominating and controlling each other we tried to lift up those who are weaker and downtrodden. Imagine not fearing anything except that we might not become ourselves. Imagine a world where everyone was valued equally. Even the most homogeneous of groups experience diversity whether they realize it or not. When did we decide that our sameness is achieved through the destruction of diversity? Such foolishness.

I grieve for those who will never be who they were created to be; for those who live in fear; for those who do not dream of and will not fight for a better, evolving, more equal world; for those who think life is about conformity. I grieve for my lost love.

17 Comments:

At 10:22 PM, September 02, 2006, Blogger SassyFemme said...

A couple of thoughts truck me as I read this....

First, and probably foremost, when I read things like this, it hurts because your pain come through your writing. It makes me want to hug you and tell you it'll all be okay.

Secondly, IMO, it is (partly)because of your ideals and beliefs, and the fact that you feel things so deeply, that you will make such an amazing priest. That was actually the forefront of my mind as I read your post.

Don't give up imagining your ideal, or reaching for it, even if it sometimes feels out of reach. That's what makes this world a better place, for ourselves and for others.

As for the lost love (still wanting to reach out and just hug you tightly), I believe that we meet the people we're meant to meet, to learn the lessons we're meant to learn. Not all relationships, romantic or otherwise, are meant to be forever. Perhaps there was a lesson learned that will bring you to a higher point in your understanding, or in your next relationship. Just please don't let past hurts keep you from the possibilty of opening up your heart to someone else at some point in your life.

Big hugs...

 
At 12:37 AM, September 03, 2006, Blogger KMae said...

Not for nothin', is it possible to google her & just email or call to say hi, you were great & I send you my love?
Or is that not a good idea?

 
At 12:55 AM, September 03, 2006, Blogger Syd said...

Poignant, beautiful post.

Hope the rain moves along and takes your blues with it.

 
At 5:09 AM, September 03, 2006, Blogger Little Blue Petal said...

Wow Zanne, this is a beautiful post. (What an interesting book too! I have just ordered it from Amazon.)
I think that when you open yourself up to feeling things at such a deep level as you clearly do, then some depression is inevitable, even healthy-- as long as the cloud lifts after a short time. I see depression as our mind's way of coming to terms with, and processing deeply felt issues. It is neccessary to let these things run their course and not try to suppress them.
If it doesn't move on soon, you could try some Ignatia30C (homoeopathy). It always helps me to balance out again whenever I get into a low-down low!
LBPx

P.S. Sassy is spot-on when she said you will make a fantastic priest.

 
At 10:48 PM, September 03, 2006, Blogger Trop said...

On my better days I see depression as a gift. It is my muse. It gives me insight into myself and those around me like nothing else can. Like Sassy, I want to reach over and hug you.

 
At 7:26 AM, September 04, 2006, Blogger SassyFemme said...

Just stopping by to check on your this morning and let you know I'm thinking of you. {{{{ }}}}

 
At 10:12 AM, September 04, 2006, Blogger Zanne said...

Sassy, thanks for stopping by this morning to check in; you are such a sweetie! And thank you for jumping in with your encouragement--I very much appreciate the hugs!!!

Your words meant a lot to me because being so idealistic and emotional about things sometimes makes me afraid that I will make a lousy priest. On the one hand I can relate to the pain of others and can offer them the comfort that I've received, but I wonder what I'll do when I'm the one in need of understanding and comfort and don't have it to give yet. It's probably that thought that triggers the loneliness. Wondering who will be there for me...

But I want to tell you that that question got answered this weekend in the kindness and caring of you and other commenters, friends who read it and either called or emailed me, and the people who listened to me and hugged me yesterday at church. I am feeling so very much better this day. It'll be another 4 or 5 years before there's a collar around my neck, with a lot of hoops to jump through on the way, so maybe I don't have to have it all figured out today! Big hugs back to you my friend! :D
---------------------------------

KMae, that's a lovely suggestion but I'm afraid it isn't possible. I do know where she is and how I could reach her but she doesn't know really who she is or what she wants. And I suspect that even if she did, it wouldn't be me anymore. I appreciate the suggestion though and you taking the time to comment! Big hug to you!

Hey Syd, thanks for that; meant a lot to me. And your posts definitely put a smile on my face on more than one occasion this weekend! Sorry for not commenting to let you know. I love your sense of humour (even if I'm not always sure what you're talking about--the waitress and the tip jar?) :D
Hugs!

LBP, I think you'll enjoy the book. The part at the beginning about the foot binding had me grimacing on the subway. Eeeks!! But it's a very moving book. Let me know what you think.
Thank you for sharing your take on depression. It's certainly a much gentler way to approach it than the one I've taken for myself. But you are right. It's a sign to pay attention. Thanks for the homeopathy tip. Am always looking for natural alternatives to whatever! Hugs!

Trop, boy do I relate to that although I must confess that the fine line between gift and curse gets a little ambiguous at times! Thanks for the hug, your friendship means a lot to me! Hugs back!

 
At 11:57 AM, September 04, 2006, Blogger Trop said...

"...the fine line between gift and curse..."

Yes, I teeter between profound insight and absolute torment ALL the time.

 
At 3:46 PM, September 04, 2006, Blogger Bent Fabric said...

It is her loss. She is missing out on a wonderful person.

{{{{{{Zanne}}}}}}

 
At 4:03 PM, September 04, 2006, Blogger Zanne said...

Trop I'm glad I'm not the only one! ;)

Bent-no words xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

 
At 10:58 PM, September 04, 2006, Blogger Middle Girl said...

Sorry to hear you were feeling poorly, glad the tidings have turned and I hope they continue on the upswing.

May Peace Be With You.

 
At 10:46 AM, September 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zanne, you are the most amazing woman.

 
At 4:00 PM, September 05, 2006, Blogger Little Blue Petal said...

Hi Zanne Sweetie!
Hope you are feeling more rested and contented today. Hooray for days in PJs! (I am sure a decent pair of PJs are a sure-cure for the blues) ;-D
Love ya! LBPx

 
At 6:38 PM, September 05, 2006, Blogger Zanne said...

Only daughter, thanks for your glad tidings and peace to you too!

Jules, WHERE have you been sweetie!!! Lost track of you for a bit and look forward to catching up on your life! Hugs! Glad you found me!

LBP, yep the pj therapy really seems to work! ;) Hugs!

 
At 4:52 PM, September 07, 2006, Blogger Unbalanced said...

{{{{{Zanne}}}}}
I'm glad you are feeling better sweetie. You have such a big heart and sometimes all that we take in can overwhelm us and you have to take a step back and process it all. Hugs and love to you sweetie.

 
At 1:07 PM, September 09, 2006, Blogger High Maintenance Femme said...

hey, i've been a silent reader until now, but that post moved me so much I wanted to comment. I too am heading to amazon to order that book! hugs xx

 
At 5:20 PM, September 09, 2006, Blogger Zanne said...

UnB thanks! You're always such a sweetie! Hugs back atcha!

HMF, hey thanks for coming out of the silence! Sweetie, why don't you let me send you mine if you haven't ordered it already. Email me, ok? Hope all is well in your world! Hugs to you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Web Site Counter