Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Warning: mushiness ahead!

Ok, it's been brought to my attention that the magic carpet ride needs to come in for a landing.

There’s been so much on my mind lately. The last few days it’s been about my stepmother who just had double knee replacement surgery. She called me on Sunday to give me all the information and also to let me know that I should expect papers in the mail which will authorize me as a signer on her checking account. Oh and she’d checked about power of attorney as well, but that only applied if she was dead, so let’s not go there, and p.s. she also updated her will but everything’s going to be fine. Add to all this subliminal stuff, which only I may be picking up, but she’s also all alone in Florida and in her eighties. I’ve been praying constantly for her for 2 days and something about it all just kind of breaks my heart. My impulse is to get on a plane even though she declined my offer to be there with her.

My impulse is always to be present. Somebody I love hurts, I want to be there holding their hand or giving a hug. You’re going through a hard time and I want to be there to look in your eyes and give a smile. I understand that presence doesn’t necessarily fix or change anything, and yet somehow it does because whatever it is, is not experienced alone.

Which by the way, brings me to something else I’ve been wanting to say for a while now: thank you! Who am I talking to? That would be you. You reading. I did not expect to feel embraced and affirmed the way that I do. I did not realize that I would come to know people whose friendships touch me on a daily basis. I did not expect my heart to get involved with perfect strangers, but it has. You all remind me on a daily basis that I’m not alone, and that is a very big deal. Here ends the mushy moment—sometimes I just can’t help myself! ‘K gotta go—feeling a little verklempt! ;)

17 Comments:

At 11:58 AM, August 23, 2006, Blogger KMae said...

You have such a sweet spirit.

Isn't it too bad that 80 year olds don't do computers & email? Well, I know you call her often, but maybe sending a card each week would brighten her lonliness.

 
At 1:27 PM, August 23, 2006, Blogger Rissamama3 said...

I know what you mean about pressence because I just had surgery and it meant the world to me when my friends stopped in or called. I will keep her in my thoughts for you too!

 
At 7:54 PM, August 23, 2006, Blogger CrackerLilo said...

Prescence is a very good thing, and it doesn't always have to be physical.

I'm grateful to have gotten to know you, too.

 
At 8:23 PM, August 23, 2006, Blogger Sapphire said...

You're never alone hon.

xx

 
At 8:51 PM, August 23, 2006, Blogger SassyFemme said...

Zanne, double check the power of atty. in FL. My parents lived in FL before we moved them to us in TX. I had POA (medical and legal - sometimes called durable) for both. As of 2000ish when theirs were done in FL, POA could be elected to take effect on multiple causing factors, the person filling out the legal paperwork checks a box to state upon what it takes effect. From what I learned in TX when my mom died, POA ends upon death. There's an area of law I'm not sure whether or not you already know about, so forgive me if you know, Elder Law. The FL Elder Law Academy page is at: http://www.afela.org/ There's a link from there to find an elder law atty. in FL. From my own experience with my parents, an Elder Law Atty. is a Godsend when it comes to stuff like this, and later Medicaid planning if long term nursing care is needed!

Also, there are many services which provide companionship and homemaking services to elderly, as well simple medical care to complex care, all in their own homes. It's also good for another set of eyes to check on a loved one.

As far as your impulse to get on a plane and go... oh do I ever understand that. More.than.you.will.ever.know. You're right that presence doesn't fix or change things, but it does keep an eye to make sure everything is really okay.

Please feel free to drop me an email if you have questions about the POA or just need to talk w/someone who's "been there."

Hang in there...

Hugs!

 
At 8:52 PM, August 23, 2006, Blogger SassyFemme said...

Oh geez, I got all that posted, and forgot to add how wonderful it is getting to know you on here. You're a beautiful addition to blogland and my life! More hugs! :)

 
At 12:49 AM, August 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that we should be thanking you for your blog (that's kind of an ugly word isn't it?). I love being able to hear/read your thoughts on whatever subject is on your mind.

Thanks for being you and for being willing to share!

 
At 9:14 AM, August 24, 2006, Blogger Zanne said...

K - Thank you! You know my mom just turned 80 and she has a computer and email and it's amazing the difference it makes, but then she had my sister and I to help her. My stepmom seems so isolated emotionally and I think that's the thing that's distressing me. Your idea about the cards was a wonderful one--thanks! :)

Betty - Really appreciate that-thank you! Hope you are well recovered from your surgery. I'm glad you had friends that were there for you. :)

C - You are so right, case in point: people coming by and commenting! :) Glad to have gotten to know you too!

Sapphire - Right back atcha sweetie!

Sassy - Thank you so much for the information. Truthfully I was a little stunned when she mentioned everything because it wasn't presented as something to be discussed. She just said what she did and then moved on. I will definitely do some research which might be good for the future. And thanks for the offer to come to you with any questions! I'm so glad I've gotten to know you and value your friendship!

M - dear sweet friend, I'm so glad you come by to let me share with you. My only regret is that it can't be more up and personal! Hugs!

 
At 9:20 AM, August 24, 2006, Blogger Trop said...

I'm am so glad to know you Zanne.

Your stepmother is blessed to have you to watch over her.

 
At 1:46 PM, August 24, 2006, Blogger Unbalanced said...

I'm glad you're here in blogland and enjoy reading your posts so much!

 
At 3:17 PM, August 24, 2006, Blogger Zanne said...

T - thanks and thanks! Hugs!

UnB - you're sweet; I enjoy your posts too! :)

 
At 3:32 PM, August 24, 2006, Blogger Bent Fabric said...

I'm the one who should thank you. You have been a most wonderful addition to my life.

Big Hugs!

 
At 3:45 PM, August 24, 2006, Blogger Zanne said...

(((((Bent))))))

 
At 8:53 PM, August 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

trust your gut. time is precious. go to florida. she will always say no but inside i bet it would make her heart shine to see you there. surprise her. tina

 
At 10:14 PM, August 26, 2006, Blogger afuntanilla said...

you have such a beautiful way of expressing yourself...it's so appreciated. i hope you come to some peace inside about your step-mom and to visit or not.
i have been in that place and understand the stress. worry. etc...

be well!

 
At 12:17 PM, August 27, 2006, Blogger The Mad Hatter said...

O, I wanna cry, this post is so touching hun and I wanna jump on a plane and come hug you ((( )))
Lots of love XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX

PS, thank you for being here :-)

 
At 1:01 PM, August 28, 2006, Blogger Zanne said...

A - thanks for understanding and for your kind words! :)

MH - thanks for the hugs, they were much needed and appreciated!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Web Site Counter