Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Obedience, inspiration, joy, and hope













Once again I have been ordered out of my quiet solitude by Miss Bossy Sassy Femme. Actually, I’m quite moved that she noticed. Reminds me of the conversation in which I told my stepmother that I had a blog (and then had to explain what a blog was) and she asked me, “Why would anyone care?” Well, it seems that somebody does and it’s one of the many reasons that I so value my friend.

Sometimes there’s just too much to write about, so I write nothing. It’s all I can do to keep the whirring in my head down to a semi-deafening roar. Still, since Sassy’s summoning I will endeavor to give some of the highlights since Easter.

Last week I happened to see a notice for a lecture as I walked by a church near work. The speaker was someone that I had heard of in the past but wasn’t very familiar with. The reason it caught my attention was that I had just spent the last couple of days on one of my favorite “Episcopal happenings” site (my term) and had noticed that quite a few of the commenters referenced James Alison. Well it turned out that he was speaking the next night at this church and on one of my favorite themes—“How can I be gay and Catholic?” (read Christian) I was stunned by the man’s intellect but even more so by the spirit of the man. There was such peace and lack of resentment, anger, or bitterness. I walked away in awe, inspired and filled with hope. I am working my way through one of his books and must say it’s like learning how to read again. I think that I’m probably only getting a fraction of what he’s saying but I keep seeing his gentle humble face and am moved to go a little deeper.

The next day I was on a plane to Vermont to attend my friends’ wedding aka holy union blessing. What an incredible honor and privilege it was to see these 2 men, one of whom is a priest, who have loved, honored, and supported each other for almost 17 years make a public commitment before God, family, and friends. It was such an inspiration and so incredibly normal and right. I honestly don’t have words to express the profound hope and joy I felt all last weekend.

Then of course there has been the heartbreak of this week, for which I truly have no words. Some things are simply impossible to understand. Please remember the students, families, and community of Virginia Tech in your prayers.

Those were some of the highlights. There is much more but I think this should be sufficient for now—ok Miss Sassy? If I’m more quiet than usual, it’s simply because I’m trying to get organized with regard to financial aid applications and trying to navigate the logistics of completely uprooting my whole life. Prayers would be much appreciated!

14 Comments:

At 5:30 PM, April 18, 2007, Blogger SassyFemme said...

Yippee, you posted! {big cheesy grin} Now what's this about being suprised anyone noticed?!?! Of course I did, and of course I care. Silly girl! You know that you are adored and treasured!

Just think, Zanne, in a few years it could be YOU officiating at these unions! (Off into daydreams and wishes of you actually being able to legally marry Fran and me.)

As for the financial aid and the life changes, you know you have my prayers and good wishes, sweetie, always.

 
At 10:19 PM, April 18, 2007, Blogger Bent Fabric said...

Yeah, she is bossy, isn't she?!

 
At 10:59 PM, April 18, 2007, Blogger Syd said...

Yay Sassy for nagging!

Zanne, your blog content is so different from any others that I read, it's a real treat when you post.

 
At 12:59 AM, April 19, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But of course we notice. And we do care - alot! It is always a good thing to find you have posted again...

As Sassyfemme said, "Silly girl!"

 
At 9:00 AM, April 19, 2007, Blogger Gunfighter said...

Ditto to all of the above, as if we don't notice!

Prayers requested, prayers on continual delivery.

GF

 
At 9:25 AM, April 19, 2007, Blogger Zanne said...

Sassy, I am putty in the face of that cheesy grin!
What a wonderful daydream! I can't imagine what an honor it will be to officiate at life's sacramental moments. I can't imagine getting through my first term actually...let's just take this a step at a time, shall we? Hugs!!!!

Bent, well yes but it doesn't seem to affect you. What's your secret? :D

Syd!!! Ol' buddy ol' pal! I'm always tickled when you stop by! And may I say the same about your blog--so different from anything I read too! ;) Hugs!

Merryn, thanks sweetie! And yes I guess I am a silly girl, but isn't that part of my charm?! xo

Mr. Adorable, thank you thank you thank you! Appreciate you more than you know. Hugs!

 
At 4:49 PM, April 19, 2007, Blogger Middle Girl said...

A tad late to the festivals of joy, but I share equally in the sentiments previously expressed!

Keeping you in my thoughts as you forge ahead with the next steps.

 
At 8:49 PM, April 19, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Keep the blog entries comin' lol! Blessings, Lori

 
At 11:09 AM, April 20, 2007, Blogger Rev. Maureen Frescott said...

I will be saying mucho prayers to get you through the upheaval of the coming months. I'll also add a prayer to the "financial aid gods" to smile upon you as you deal with the headache of paying for seminary.
(I've been praying to them all week on my own behalf...we're best buds now)

BTW - have you read "THE CLOSE" by Chloe Bryer? It's a memoir of one women's first year at General Seminary.
The author can get whiny at times (wah! Greek is hard! wah!) But it gives prospective students a good idea as to what to expect at General.

 
At 1:17 PM, April 20, 2007, Blogger Zanne said...

Only D, it's never too late; thanks for coming by! :D

Lori, will do my best about keepin' 'em comin'! Thank you for the thoughts and prayers!

MoCat, you're in my prayers too! Hang in there my friend. And no, I haven't read the book by Chloe Bryer but will be sure to check it out. Thanks! :)

 
At 8:44 PM, April 21, 2007, Blogger Maria said...

Nice blog...stumbled in from blog hopping.

It was a very good landing!

 
At 7:13 AM, April 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A day without a blog entry from you, is like a day with sunshine for me! Thanks for writing Zanne.
PS Everything they say about returning to school and the challenges...it's TRUE! Take it from one who knows! Poor students-JUST KIDDING!

 
At 7:16 AM, April 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG-that was meant to say like a day WITHOUT sunshine for me! I better start practising what I preach to my students -always proofread...then again they say the unconscious is a powerful thing-JUST KIDDING! Your blog always gives me a sense of connection to you-that's a GOOD thing!

 
At 8:49 AM, April 24, 2007, Blogger Zanne said...

Maria, welcome!

Prof Tina, you crack me up! Far be it from me to withhold the sunshine--tee hee! Viva la connection! Hugs dear friend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Web Site Counter