Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Evangelism? I don't think so.























Ok, so I wasn't exactly handing out tracts, an activity that I strongly disagree with and have never engaged in, but I did spend my lunch hour on the street handing out pamphlets to passersby, telling them about what my company does.

And may I say that I have brand new respect and pity for those who do this on a regular basis, or heaven forbid, as a job. Do you have any idea how hard it is to stand there with a smile on your face, searching for the few individuals who will give you eye contact and be willing to let you hand them something? It is mortifying I tell you! Anyone who needs to experience those feelings of rejection should give this a try for an hour or so.

In future, when passing someone giving stuff away on the street, I will look at them, smile, and take whatever they're giving away, if for no other reason to help them get rid of their stack and be able to get off the street. Please join me in taking pity on those poor brave people (and do smack me upside my head if I ever consider volunteering for such a task ever again!)


PS
And just in case anyone was actually interested in my views on evangelism, I'm the one looking for a t-shirt that says this:
"Preach the gospel at all times and when necessary use words."
--St. Francis of Assisi


12 Comments:

At 5:05 PM, March 21, 2007, Blogger Syd said...

Perhaps if you passed them out wearing lingerie...

 
At 9:18 PM, March 21, 2007, Blogger SassyFemme said...

Rolling my eyes at Syd. You are soooo going to Hell!

Zanne, did you choose to do this, or was it something you had to do?

 
At 9:35 PM, March 21, 2007, Blogger yankeegirl said...

Great quote from St. Francis. I wish more Christians felt this way about it.

 
At 9:47 PM, March 21, 2007, Blogger Janet Kincaid said...

Been there, done that. As a Mormon missionary in Austria! It was tough and something I wouldn't do again. In fact, if I had being a Mo-Mish to do over again, I'd ask to be a service missionary and do what St. Francis preached: actions over words!

 
At 8:24 AM, March 22, 2007, Blogger Gunfighter said...

Another of the many reasons I have admired St. Francis.

Maybe we should get some shirts made, Zanne!

 
At 8:56 AM, March 22, 2007, Blogger Trop said...

Zanne, I had the same experience when working for the "Vote No" campaign last Fall. We gave out fliers, and handing them to strangers went totally against my personality. It's a hard thing to do.

 
At 8:58 AM, March 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know of Saint Pauli Girl....

I can't imagine doing what you did. I think I would take being fired over that

 
At 9:46 AM, March 22, 2007, Blogger Zanne said...

Syd sweetie, always with the helpful advice! ;)

Sassy, no Syd can't go to hell because it would be so boring without her! And yes, I actually volunteered for this, hence the permission to smack me upside my head if I ever even thought about it again!

Yankeegirl, me too! We'll see how many sermons that can be worked into after they put me in a collar! :D

JMK, wow I'd forgotten about that aspect of your tradition. And you did it in a foreign country! Did you speak German? That must have been some kind of experience. If you've written about it, would you send me the link? I'd be interested in hearing more.

Gunman, kewl idea! :D

Trop, that's right I'd forgotten about that. Trying to reach people about something so important in such a limited way really takes courage and faith. Props to you my friend!

Kitty Litter, hey isn't she that girl on the beer? ;) If I ever do it again maybe I'll take Syd's advice after knocking back a couple of SP Girls. :D

 
At 10:31 PM, March 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

With all joking aside, Syd has a point. What does that say about our 'Christian' nation?

 
At 10:11 AM, March 23, 2007, Blogger Zanne said...

Elizabeth, I know, things are not as they should be but I have to keep hoping for change and truth. You might be surprised how many of us Christians there are that want nothing to do with this "Christian nation" business. But then that's really a whole other post...
Thanks for stopping by! :D

 
At 9:01 PM, March 23, 2007, Blogger Gunfighter said...

"You might be surprised how many of us Christians there are that want nothing to do with this "Christian nation" business."

Um... you can count me in that number!

 
At 3:46 PM, March 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You always said"Oh Mother" when I would take one of those slips when we were walking in New York. But then I always thought they were giving awaysomething free Ha!
love
Did you send Lwslie a message== she is being married at 5 pm EST today

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Web Site Counter