Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Perched on the Precipice

There are moments when it seems fitting to stop, process, and reflect; like on New Year's Eve or any other moment when what comes next will change the rest of your life. So, with wine in hand, I'm taking a moment.

Tomorrow I will know where I'm spending the next 3 years of my life. Perhaps that doesn't quite measure up to the vast change that happens when a child is born, or marriage vows are taken, or someone dies. But for me, it is the moment when I finally leave the "Land of Uncertainty."

I have lived in this place for over 4 years. I have surrendered over and over and over again, praying, "God your will be done." Actually, the prayer was not quite that eloquent or succinct. It was more along the lines of, "Lord, I have no idea what we're doing here and I really want to know what you want, so if this isn't it, please close the door. Be clear with me because you know how dense I am. You are good and whatever you will for me is good so please help me to accept and embrace whatever that is."

I have told the truth when it meant a potential end to this process of formal discernment. I have bounced like a ping pong ball back and forth when my truth threw the authority that is in place, into a quandary: "Well we've never had this happen before...(a 40 something year old woman coming out in an attempt to be completely honest and authentic) and we're not really sure what to do with her..."

I realize that I've put down roots in this land of holding things loosely, and now when I am about to find out a certainty that will shape the direction for my career and potentially the rest of my life, I am undone.

I have spent close to 4 1/2 years desperately wanting to know the end of the story, or at least part one. I have wiggled and struggled in the restraints and tried to calm my heart. I've been tossed back and forth by others and tried to stay open to the idea that maybe this was God speaking through circumstance. And now here I am, in complete amazement at this place in which people have said "yes" to my call, trying to take in that God has said "yes" to the offer of my life on Her altar, and the thing that I have waited for so long--the decision--unhinges me.

My rector and parish said yes. My second rector and parish that so graciously took me in after I came out, said yes. My peers said yes. My Bishop said yes. Tomorrow, my school will say yes and I will know where the next set of uncertainties are to be lived out.

I am amazed to have been brought this far. I've lost count of the times when I readied my heart for the door to be closed, and yet, miraculously, here I am. I still don't know what I'm doing here and in truth, I am completely daunted at what lies ahead. But, there is no question in my heart that this is the path. Tonight I will not think of where or how. I will enjoy the bliss of not knowing. I will dwell in the land of maybe. Tonight it's all undecided and I find that I actually like this place. This place that I've done everything I could think of to leave, is the place I now grieve to leave.

But happily, for me there will be many, many more places of uncertainty to come.

Anything is possible.

Always.

Thank you dearest Lord.

Amen

9 Comments:

At 9:42 PM, March 14, 2007, Blogger Trop said...

I've been reading Krista Tippett's book and the whole time I've been thinking about the adventure you are about to take (especially when Tippett writes about her time at Yale Divinity School). I am in awe.

PS: Will you get any sleep tonight?

 
At 10:15 PM, March 14, 2007, Blogger KMae said...

Oh how exciting!!!
Oh my gosh!!!!
I can't wait to hear!!

 
At 11:50 PM, March 14, 2007, Blogger Syd said...

Now *my* stomach is in knots. Yikes!

 
At 12:25 AM, March 15, 2007, Blogger Middle Girl said...

Whatever the next step you are in for interesting times, for which is seems you supremely prepared.

 
At 1:03 AM, March 15, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anything IS possible. That is what is so cool about what you're doing - and are about to do. I completely admire your courage and commitment to the process of discernment and formation. I am honored to call you my friend. You go girl!

 
At 7:26 AM, March 15, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

Good things, Zanne. I wish good things for you.

 
At 9:32 AM, March 15, 2007, Blogger Zanne said...

Trop, I don't know that book, will have to look it up. In answer to your question, no I did not get much sleep. That's a whole 'nother story...but hey, thanks for being the first to comment! Hugs to you!

KMae, you are such a sweetie! Thanks!

Syd, well I promise you that wasn't my intention--but hey if you clench with me then you can rejoice with me--deal? :D

Only D, it will indeed be interesting--thanks for the vote of confidence.

Merryn, no, my friend, it is I that am honoured!!!!! HUGS!

Thanks Wen, you're a sweetie! :D

 
At 10:11 AM, March 15, 2007, Blogger Gunfighter said...

I'm with you, Zanne, you know that.

All will be well.

 
At 10:16 AM, March 15, 2007, Blogger Zanne said...

I do know that my friend, and it means a lot! :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Web Site Counter