Thursday, March 29, 2007

Give it up for my friend Mr. Adorable aka Gunfighter

I invited my good friend Gunfighter to guest blog when I saw this post over at his place. There has been a lot going on in The Episcopal Church this last week and I've spent an inordinate amount of time reading everything I can find. So much so that I simply haven't been able to articulate my thoughts and feelings. Luckily, articulation happens to be one of Mr. Adorable's most shining qualities, along with his huge, kind heart! So, heeeeeeeeeeeeere's Gunfighter!

________________________________________________________


Something is bothering me and I'll tell you what it is: What has me bothered is the continuing unrest in the American branch of the worldwide Anglican Communion, which we refer to, in the United States, as the Episcopal Church. A Church body that is in full communion with my own. You see, the American branch of the Anglican communion has taken a courageous, and wholly Christian stance (in my view) by not only ordaining women, but electing openly gay people to serve as priests. This has caused a great deal of unrest in American church, as you might imagine.

It was reported, three days ago, in the Washington Post, that Colorado's largest Episcopal Church, Grace Church & St. Stephen's academy (est. 1872), in Colorado Springs, Colorado, has elected to leave the American Episcopal church, and enter into association with an ultra-conservative Anglican church body from Nigeria.

Why? Because various congregations in the United States want to use the word of God to codify their bigotry.

This isn't a new thing, unfortunately. In recent years, the Episcopal church has done some things that don't sit well with it's more conservative members. First, in the 1970's the U.S. church started ordaining women as Priests, Next, in 2003, an openly gay Priest, The Reverend Gene Robinson...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

...was elected and consecrated as the Bishop for New Hampshire. In 2006, a woman, Bishop Kathrine Jefferts Schiori, of Nevada, was elected as Presiding Bishop for the entire American church.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Jefferts-Schori

That did it! The conservative elements had had all they were going to take. Many Parishes left after the consecration of the gay Bishop, and over the past year, dozens parishes had elected to leave the church with Jefferts Schori's ascension and the determination of the national church body to continue to bless same-sex unions and refusal to exclude gay members.

I, for one, applaud the action of the Episcopal church. At a time when many churches are taking the stand of exclusivity, as if the church is some sort of country club that needs to keep out the rabble, and in some cases deciding to not decide, the Episcopal church has taken a stand, that I consider to be in line with the theology of Jesus Christ: That all are welcome.

I mean, I could get deeply scriptural here, but I won't... there are plenty of places you can find that if you want. Here it is: Why is it that churches will split over homosexuality, but not over adultery? over homosexuality, but not over lying; sexual infidelity or "sexually inappropriate" behavior by the Pastor; theft; spousal abuse; and on and on? I'll tell you why... because people like having another group to hate... and it is particularly helpful to hate a group that you can get the clergy to agree with you on. You see, we Christians like to feel holy when we sin.

I'll say that again: We Christians like to feel holy when we sin.

It isn't fashionable to be openly racist in America anymore, especially in the church, but thankfully we still have one group that we can openly attack, and we can even try to use scripture against them You guessed it, gay people. Isn't that great? black people, white people, Latino people... we can all hold hands, sing Kumbaya, and exclude gay people from the body of Christ! AMEN!

I'm ill about it.

My oldest sister is gay. She is an ordained minister. She is leaving her church. She has to, before the congregation that loves the way she preaches the gospel, finds out about her love life. I have friends, some of whom read this blog, that no longer are active in their churches, because of the stances of their churches. I have a friend that is seeking ordination in the very same denomination that is struggling on this issue, and I am very proud of the courage that she has shown in the face of all of this furor.

People the world over have tried to cover their hatred of gays by quoting a few passages from the Bible while conveniently forgetting the most important parts of the Gospels: "For you are saved by grace through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast." **Please note that this passage from the second chapter of Ephesians doesn't add the caveat "unless you are a homosexual"**

If nothing that I have said makes any sense to you, let me close with this: Excluding someone from your church or it's sacraments because of their sexual orientation is not only a sin, but it's un-American.

That's what I said, un-American. You see, we claim to cling to the notion that <"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

You see, the pursuit of happiness, which includes matrimony, is an American right. A right. A right that the church shouldn't be able to ignore because of the bigotry of some adherents.

American slavery began to be abolished in 1863, and it took until 2000 for the last prohibitions against interracial marriage to end in this country. It may take a long time, but I say to those who are waiting... be of good cheer, history is on your side.

Peace,

GF

13 Comments:

At 2:47 PM, March 29, 2007, Blogger Bent Fabric said...

Amen! Bloody freaking brilliant, GF!

 
At 3:00 PM, March 29, 2007, Blogger Trop said...

Standing ovation!

 
At 5:28 PM, March 29, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you so much for putting that all so clearly-- I wish all could read it.
I have anguished over this because of the feeling of my Anglican church and because I have a Gay daughter. I had decided to leave the church because of their negative feelings. but A little women that is a wonderful person and the new Preacher in this Church has risen to say that our church will not be divided. We are all God's children and all will be welcomed with Love to our Church. There is more fur to fly this Sunday in her sermon,so I have been told, but knowing her it will be with Love and determination to Love all people. I don't express myself very well but I am so thankful for the remarks expressed aboveand I thank you. I would so like a copy of this Blog. Is it possible?
with Love

 
At 9:49 PM, March 29, 2007, Blogger Middle Girl said...

from you lips....

 
At 9:53 PM, March 29, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I said over on Mr. Adorable/Gunfighter's blog, Amen, brother!

So many other, more troubling things to worry about in the world and this... THIS... is what and who we pick on? God must be sick to His stomach. I know I am.

 
At 12:59 AM, March 30, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said. Thank you for the breath of sanity on this subject.

 
At 10:13 AM, March 30, 2007, Blogger Zanne said...

Bent, he really is, isn't he?

Trop, here here!

Big Bay Point, you're right it is about Love, from beginning to end. Cling to hope and take courage from voices like Gunfighter! Hugs!

Only D, amen sister!

Pompous One, I know, I keep thinking that God must be weeping.

Merryn, he is a blessing. You should go visit his blog--I'm a big fan! Hugs!!!!

 
At 10:25 AM, March 30, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very well put, thank you for that. I did just want to note that although Don Armstrong is a very hateful individual, I have known him personally for many years so I feel comfortable saying this, his main motivation in leaving the church, is the fact that he is being charged with stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars from the parish. Although he has disagreed with the Episcopal church for many years now, I believe he would have stayed, as long as his public reputation remained intact. He enjoyed the publicity and the idea that he was a megachurch minister fighting for his "moral" beliefs. Saying that he is leaving the church over gay issues is the smokescreen he would rather it be that than what it really is, theft. The Anglican Church of Nigeria is the last resort and a place he can hide until he is brought to court. I know it may seem that I am not writing this in the same spirit as this blog post, but I know Don and his supporters want to be seen as anti gay fighting for their beliefs rather than just flat out criminal.

 
At 10:37 AM, March 30, 2007, Blogger Zanne said...

Thanks Anon for your comment--you are most welcome here. I've actually been reading quite a bit about the situation on frjakestopstheworld.blogspot.com. The comment section after each post is usually filled with a lot of information and threads to follow. That being said, it is a sad state of affairs and I can only pray that the truth wins out. Actually, even more than that, I'm praying that Love wins out. Blessings to you. :D

 
At 7:56 PM, March 30, 2007, Blogger SassyFemme said...

GF, that was just fabulous!

 
At 12:47 PM, March 31, 2007, Blogger Gunfighter said...

I'm so glad so many of you enjoyed that.

From time to time I get so botherd by something that if I don't let it out, I think I'll explode... this was one of them.

Cheers,

GF

 
At 11:19 PM, April 07, 2007, Blogger Jessala said...

I praise God for people like you. You are the people that will take this country foward, and make the world a deliciously diverse and tolerent place.

 
At 4:54 PM, April 11, 2007, Blogger Rev. Maureen Frescott said...

I'm a little late getting to this one, but I just wanted to say A-EFFIN-MEN!
You go girl!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Web Site Counter