Monday, January 15, 2007









Since returning from Canada right before New Years, I have been collecting transcripts filling out applications, getting referrals, and writing my autobiography. Funny this process of preparation for seminary is pushing all sorts of buttons for me.

I've had literal dreams of going back to school for years. I wasn't ready when I was fresh out of high school and began my music degree. There were so many things I didn't learn or take advantage of because I wasn't ready. I've dreamed of getting a kind of “do over” and to be able to really throw myself into something I'm passionate about. And now the dream is coming true but inside I'm that high school kid again (in a 44 year old body). I'm scared and ashamed of being so.

It's not just that I want to be successful as an MDiv student. That's only part of it. It's that this MDiv is a step toward another dream--living out the rest of my life in service to God and others. As things continue to go forward step by step, I'm waking up from the dream and this voice inside me sneers, "What kind of delusion is this that makes you think you're good enough for that?"

This is an old and familiar voice. I've been bullied by it most of my life. I was reminded on Friday when I went to see "Freedom Writers" (which I highly recommend) that many people have voices that tell them they are inadequate, not good enough. But they are wrong. About all of us. That is why I love this quote by Marianne Williamson so much:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

Ok, so time for me to get back to it—hadn’t actually meant to post at all, but there you go! (Wanders off, coffee in hand, repeating, “All shall be well; all shall be well; all manner of thing shall be well.”)

13 Comments:

At 12:30 PM, January 15, 2007, Blogger Trop said...

I think you are capable of big things.

Thanks for that quote; I needed to read that. I often think that my own achievements are IN SPITE of myself. I have to stop thinking so little of myself.

 
At 6:01 PM, January 15, 2007, Blogger CrackerLilo said...

I'm glad you posted. I hope it helped you. I know writing helps me sort things out, and it sounds like you're just having to untie all kinds of knots in your mind during this process.

*hug*

 
At 7:12 PM, January 15, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All shall be well, All SHALL be well
Love always

 
At 9:50 PM, January 15, 2007, Blogger Deb said...

The funny thing is, when we're younger and still attending school, we want to "live life" and we're not so sure about what it is we want until we're older. I think we get passionate about the things we love when we mature more. It makes it more satisfying that way when we have a passion for something. Some people go to school for years and never try for the job they studied for.

Great post!

 
At 12:54 AM, January 16, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The really ironic thing is that the part of us generating that sneering voice thinks it is protecting us from potential failure - when actually all it does is guarantee that we will fail to live our lives to the fullest.

Courage my friend. Keep walking your path in spite of those negative voices.

 
At 2:19 AM, January 16, 2007, Blogger Janet Kincaid said...

You're already on the right track, Zanne! And your light is breaking forth with a brilliance and warmth that will enfold those around you and ignite their own lights within. I can't wait to see the places you go, the person you become, and the servant God makes of you!

 
At 9:56 AM, January 16, 2007, Blogger Gunfighter said...

Just let it go, Zanne!

Never mind that voice... it lies.

GF

 
At 6:18 PM, January 16, 2007, Blogger SassyFemme said...

That's the voice of the beasties, as Fran and I call them. Beat them back, sweetie, you CAN do this. I have not a shadow of a doubt about it. You are a strong, capable, independent woman, who can do anything she puts her mind to. Follow your heart, seize your dreams, and beat the shit out of the beasties. ;)

 
At 8:00 AM, January 17, 2007, Blogger Claire Joy said...

Not so easy to beat back the beasties, though, is it? (My own personal beastie was the voice of my mother saying "nobody likes a show-off" so of course any brilliance shown on my part was translated to showing off.) At 61 I'm still fighting that voice... screw it. Just do it.

 
At 9:51 AM, January 17, 2007, Blogger Zanne said...

Trop, thanks for the vote of confidence and I'm glad you liked the quote--think it's one that almost all of us really need to take to heart! So get out there and shine my friend!

CrackerLilo, you are so right! It really does help. :D

Shirlie, and you are right too--all shall be well! Love you!!!!!

Deb, I know what you mean. It took me 40 odd years to figure out what my passion was! :P

Merryn, you make a good point--I think the only guarantee of failure is not even to try! Hugs!

Janet, you are so sweet for saying that! Thank you again for helping me with my autobiography--an instance of your light helping mine to shine! :)

GF, yes sir! :D

Sassy, ahh the beasties--perfect name! Thanks for all your support my friend--means more than I can say! Hugs!

Claire Joy, yes screw it indeed! You go be brilliant my friend--it truly is a light to the rest of us! :D

 
At 3:33 PM, January 18, 2007, Blogger Bent Fabric said...

Miss Cleo says, all shall be well! ;)

 
At 6:17 PM, January 18, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tried to send a message of Love through Clair joy to Sister Mary Christobel and her web would not accept my message saying something about URL. Tell her I loved the pictureof her and All the Sister She looks wonderful Love
Your Autobiographywas super!!!!

 
At 9:15 AM, January 22, 2007, Blogger Zanne said...

BF, well if Miss Cleo says it, it MUST be true! :P

Hi Shirlie,
I will send you message along and thanks for the encouragement on the autobiography! Love you!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Web Site Counter